Thursday, August 27, 2009

Mon Voyage À L'Acadie: Part 5: Mi’kmaq First Nation Peoples

On our way back, we passed through Pointe-à-la-Croix, the town that is home to the Mi’kmaq. We went to a shop called Woodpile Handicrafts.

Once I laid eyes on these moccasins, I had to have a pair, even though they are not Mi’kmaq. Actually, we bought 3 pairs, one for me, one for my mom, and a pair for my twin.


Here is a closeup of the beading on the toe:


Then I espied this lovely beaded belt that was made by a Mi’kmaq woman and I bought it!


Here are some photographs of the shop's displays. That is a goat skin and deer skin next to the snow shoes. I really wanted the deer skin, but it was out of my price range. It cost money! Then I thought about what my dogs would do to it! Yikes!


Look at this gorgeous display! I would so buy myself lace up moccasin boots! I see me prancing around in them everywhere! They are so fantastically adorable! Don't you think? Wouldn't I make a cute Pocahontas in those?


They also had the neatest leather jackets. They were each a piece of art and one-of-a-kind with embossing, metal and leather appliques and small carved stone fetish animals applied to the back, lapels, sleeves, pockets or breasts. One jacket had a bear motif and was perfect for Sean. Alas, it was $800. Oh well.

Here is their address and phone no.:

Woodpile Handicrafts
32, route 132
Listuguj, Québec G0C 2R0
Phone: (418) 788-5876
Fax: (418) 788-5458

Stay tuned; much more Canada awaits!

No comments: