Wednesday, October 14, 2009

200,000 at National Equality March: Where was the news coverage?


My friend and I got to the rally site at 1:30 PM and went right to the front. We were right behind the fence constructed to keep the crowd away from the press risers in front of the podium, which was dead center in front of us. We had the best seats in the house, if you ask me. I was wearing a bright red t-shirt and you can see me on the Daily Show, when the camera scans the NEM audience in the beginning of the piece on the bad coverage of the NEM rally. The big white building in the background is the United States Capitol building.
Many people spoke, but I only photographed some of them.



The program opened with a medley of songs performed expertly by the Gay Mens’ Chorous of Washington, DC. We sang along to two anthems, Somewhere Over the Rainbow and The Star Spangled Banner. Next up, Toby Madigan sang his runner up song, Stand for Love.

Then, little Mario Nguyen gave his runner up Idol speech that I really liked and he had lots of pep. He told a story about coming out to his sister and how she told him his marriage would never be as real as her’s was. His plea to the audience was “make my marriage not just a fairy tale!”


Judy Shepard held up a camera and asked everybody to smile! Then said that she was there because she lost her son to hate. Sigh.



Cynthia Nixon spoke and looked fabulous.


David Mixner pointed out how wrong everybody was about the turnout. I have to agree with him there. It was quite a crowd. Even I was surprised. The place was mobbed!



Then, my favorite speaker of the day, Lt. Dan Choi came to the podium.


Here is the video of what he said:






I was very moved by this speech and it confirmed for me that he really didn’t need to hear my little story at all. He knows everything he needs to know already.

So, I ask you, where was the press coverage of this event? When is the equality of a segment of society so unimportant to our nation that it ranks little to no press whatsoever? Imagine any other segment of society marching on Washington in numbers of 200,000 or more and being totally ignored. Unimaginable, isn’t it? Infuriating too.

No comments: