Wednesday, October 22, 2014

Recent letter to the editor re: CT State Senator Art Linares

Here is a recent letter to the editor that I wrote about CT State Senator Art Linares:

connecticut-state-senator-art-linares

AN OPEN LETTER TO REPUBLICAN WOMEN ON ELECTION DAY

I am a fellow Republican woman who always wanted to be married, but I wanted a career instead of children. Thankfully, when I headed to college in 1974, I had access to birth control and due to Roe v. Wade I also had access to what could be a very excruciating choice. [Thankfully I never had to make that choice.] So it was time travel for me to hear Art Linares’ answer to this question at the debate held on October 8 at the Valley Regional High School: “Where do you stand on the SCOTUS Hobby Lobby decision?” Linares only stated that “he was raised Catholic and isn’t up for appointment as a Supreme Court Justice.” In other words, Linares is against a woman’s right to choose even birth control!

Haven’t we already dealt with this issue 40 years ago? This extremely right-wing view could have totally changed my life and taken my choice to have a career away from me. Also, I would note that extremist views such as Linares’ are not a fit with his own district’s constituency.

Birthing a child sometimes can be life-threatening. Linares doesn’t care: “No exceptions.” I have had a colleague who died from a brain hemorrhage while she was trying to have a child.

I may have wanted to hear more on Linares’ stances, but it seems he doesn’t like to show up to debates.

Please, if you value your choices as a woman, do not vote for Art Linares.

Sue Huybensz
Deep River

So far it has been published in valleynewsnow.com and Lymeline.net.

No comments: