Sunday, August 28, 2011

Hurricane Irene – We survived!

We lost power at 2 AM. I slept in until 8 or so and then got up to feed the dogs. Then I took them out and fed the cats out in the metal building. Not too many boughs were down. But then I went out the driveway and saw that there was a sizable tree down blocking our egress and it had landed on our neighbor’s lawn, but did not damage anything. It did take out a neutral wire. I got in touch with my mom via cellphone, who lost power on LI, and my sister, who still has power in Westchester County NY.

So I got Sean and he went out with my Jeep Wrangler to move the tree from blocking our driveway.






More damage and blocked roads around town. Also note downed wires.







Route 80 is the major thoroughfare from the West into our town. It hasn’t been cleared because the storm hasn’t passed yet. This tree also took out wires, which you will see in the next photo.






This elm has an 8 foot [2.4 meter] split in it, that leaves the tree resting on live wires. Eep!

I took these photos of the town landing at high tide.










All in all, I would say that we were pretty lucky in our little town. Not a lot of property damage as far as I could see.

We set up our generator and that is how I am able to post this today. Hope everyone else in the range of Irene is okay too!



No comments: